Food, wine, travel, music
3 egg whites
150g caster sugar
100g crystallised ginger
1. Preheat the oven to 150c.
2. Line 3 baking trays with silicone paper.
3. Cut the ginger into tiny squares.
4. In a perfectly clean and dry bowl start whisking the egg whites to loosen them up, then add the sugar. Keep whisking until the mixture holds its shape. Add the ginger.
5. Drop small spoonfulls onto the baking trays and place in the oven.
6. Bake for 45 minutes or until nicely crisp. Larger meringues may need up to an hour. To prevent the meringues from cracking, allow to sit in the oven for 10 minutes as it cools down, then remove and peel the silicone paper off the meringues.
7. Serve drizzled with hot chocolate sauce or sandwich with chocolate ice-cream. Another alternative is to leave the sauce on the table so that the meringues can be dipped in. Saves on the washing up.
100g dark chocolate (70%)
1 heaped teaspoon butter
Bring the cream to the boil.
Take off the heat and add the chocolate and butter.
Mix until the chocolate has melted fully. Serve hot or cold.